The Tale of El Guapo

Previous|Menu|Next

Part 2

The Little Goat

I had been on my own for sometime after being ejected from the litter when I met Maggy. Even though she was a rather large, unkempt mutt, she was the most heavenly dog I had ever been around.

Soon we were running here and there having fun together. Maggy was great, and I was having the time of my young life, thoroughly enjoying my freedom.

One day while we were trotting along in the brushy back country, we nearly plunged into a deep, deep hole in the ground. We stood close to the edge straining our necks, sniffing and peering into the abyss, but we couldn’t see the bottom; it was far too deep.

Being a resourceful rascal, as well as curious, I looked for something that could be tossed into the hole. I scurried off into the brush.

The only thing I found was a huge crosstie not far from some old railroad tracks. Too much work. But...what if I could impress Maggy by showing off my great physical strength?

I sank my sharp teeth into that cross tie, tugging and pulling with all my might. After a good while, I finally dragged it to the edge of the abyss and stood there, huffing and puffing, in all my glory. Maggy was standing there with this bewildered look on her face. (In retrospect, I now think it was more of an—are you an idiot—sort of look.)

With one last great burst of energy, I pushed that cross tie into the abyss. Maggy and I were both standing at the edge listening for its crash.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, this crazy little goat darts between us and dives straight into the hole! It almost took both of us down with it.

Unbelievable! Even Maggy, who had been at large in the world for some time, admitted she had never ever seen anything like that before.

Maggy couldn’t wait to tell her friends about it, so we headed back to town. Before we got far, we came across a boy and girl. (I wanted to chase them, but Maggy wouldn’t let me.)

The little girl was crying, and telling the boy that she had lost her little goat. She had left it there to graze for only a little while, but now it was gone.

Maggy, knowing what the goat did, felt sorry for the girl and wanted to comfort her. I still wanted to chase them.

The boy suggested that the little goat had just wandered off, and offered to help her search for it.

The girl was sobbing, and declared that it just wasn’t possible for the goat to have wandered off because she had securely tied it with a long rope to a huge crosstie.

I’m not sure why, but Maggy was furious. She dragged me by the scruff of my neck, and practically placed me into the arms of the little girl. This was Maggy’s way of comforting the little girl?

Things were suddenly happening so fast that I couldn’t think of what to do. Normally I would have simply mauled the girl and escaped. Instead I did nothing.

The little girl carried me home and promptly tied me to a fence post. (I’m glad it wasn’t a crosstie.)

The girl and her family searched for the goat, but couldn’t find it.

This was a nice place, and I considered becoming a part of the family pack, but it just wasn’t meant to be.

But that’s another part of the tale of El Guapo.

—El Guapo (rabid by choice)
(via ghost writer)

To Top

Home 
 Pictures 
 Tale of El Guapo 
 Googled 
 Sign Guestbook 
 View Guestbook 
 To Top